Oplan Bayanihan does not have a leg to stand on in Bicol

7 April 2012

Download PDF
The New People's Army (NPA) has not given the fascist troops much chance to go marauding in Bicol under Oplan Bayanihan. From January to March this year, NPA units launched harassment, sniping, ambush and sapper operations to thwart the US-Aquino regime's counterrevolutionary scheme.

The NPA operations led to a misencounter among soldiers of the 9th IB and the 93rd Division Reconnaissance Coy on March 19 in Sitio Balunis, Barangay Rizal, Dimasalang, Masbate. The NDF-Bicol Information Office reported that two soldiers were killed and an undetermined number wounded in the misencounter.

Earlier, an NPA team under the Jose Rapsing Command (NPA-Masbate) had been waiting for the soldiers but were spotted by a military informer. The NPA team immediately shifted to another position. But three columns of soldiers almost simultaneously opened fire at the elevated area where the NPA was, thinking that the Red fighters were still there. The firing had already been going on for 30 minutes before the fascist soldiers realized that they had been shooting at each other. To prevent the villagers from finding out about the snafu, the troopers waited for dark before retrieving their dead and wounded.

The NPA thwarted the military operation of three platoons from the 93rd DRC implementing Oplan Bayanihan in Mobo town, Masbate. The guerrillas opened fire at a platoon of the 93rd DRC in Barangay Sta. Maria at around 11 p.m. on March 19 and again, at around 4 a.m. on March 12. The NPA did the same in Barangay Holhogon, also in Mobo. As a result, the soldiers cancelled an anticommunist village meeting and were forced to return to their camp on March 14.

In Albay, a team from the Santos Binamera Command (SBC) harassed on March 9 a detachment of the Special CAFGU Active Auxiliary (SCAA) in Puro, Legazpi City, at around 8:30 p.m. The startled paramilitaries ran away and abandoned their detachment. Simultaneously, another team from the SBC harassed the Community Police Assistance Center (CPAC-4) in Taysan of the same city.

In Sorsogon, on March 4, a team from the Celso Minguez Command harassed a platoon from the 31st IB implementing Oplan Bayanihan in Lapinig and Biton villages in Magallanes town. At around 4 p.m., Red fighters opened fire on nine soldiers playing basketball in Barangay Lapinig. The frightened soldiers sped away, including those positioned atop a hill. The following morning, they returned to camp. The 22nd IB detachment in San Francisco, Legazpi City was also harassed.

On February 28, five soldiers of the 9th IB were killed and several others were wounded when a team from the Jose Rapsing Command used a command-detonated explosive in an ambush in Barangay Cabangrayan, Pio V. Corpuz, Masbate. The soldiers were then aboard a truck. Earlier, at around 8 p.m. of February 25, an NPA team harassed the 22nd IB detachment in Banuang Gurang.

A team of Red fighters harassed 31st IB troops in Barangay San Juan Daan, Bulan, Sorsogon on February 23. The soldiers were then resting and cooking rice at around 10 a.m. when they were fired upon by the NPA. Many of them were wounded, but officers of the 31st IB denied before the media that a gunbattle had occurred in the area.

On February 10, a platoon of the 31st IB treacherously attacked a platoon of the Celso Minguez Command in Barangay Upper Calomayon, Juban, Sorsogon. But the NPA was able to position itself on higher ground and fight well. The attacking soldiers were forced to retreat, leaving behind five dead and a seriously wounded trooper. It was late in the night when they surreptitiously loaded four of their dead on a truck in Barangay Calpi, Bulan while the fifth dead soldier and the wounded trooper were brought out via Barangay Catanusan, Juban. The 23 soldiers sent to retrieve their casualties posed as NPA members and were in civilian clothes but the locals knew better.

The military fed the media nothing but lies, saying that the NPA suffered six dead and the AFP had no casualties. In fact, the NPA's lone casualty was a Red fighter who was only slightly wounded.

On February 8 in Barangay Daguit, Labo, three soldiers of the 49th IB were wounded when a team from the Armando Ca-tapia Command (NPA-Cama-rines Norte) harassed them. At around 1 a.m., Red fighters closed in on the soldiers who had turned the barangay hall into their barracks. As soon as they ascertained that there were no civilians in the vicinity, the NPA opened fire at the soldiers.

Meanwhile, Red fighters of the Jose Rapsing Command launched two sapper operations on January 28. They quietly closed in on the headquarters of the 9th IB Charlie Coy in Barangay Pawican, Cataingan, Masbate and detonated an explosive. Three soldiers guarding the camp were killed. At dawn of January 26, another explosive was detonated at the detachment of the PNP Regional Public Safety Battalion (formerly RMG) and CAFGU in Barangay Poblacion, Batuan. Sapper operations are done to harass the enemy, inflict casualties and disrupt its operations right in its own turf.

The NPA also conducted a series of sniping operations on January 16 and 19 in Barangay Balite, Guinobatan, Albay against the fascist troops of the 2nd IB.